Friday, November 14, 2014

Tuna Toast

      I grew up hating tuna. The smell, the taste, even the thought of eating it, yuck! BUT, after I had Ella, my wonderful mother showed me a way to eat it that is not only tolerable, but actually really good. I enjoy eating it. I look forward to it. Now, I've made one alteration to her recipe. She used miracle whip, I used to use lite mayo, but am now using Greek Yogurt. I'll admit, the lite mayo or the miracle whip is slightly better tasting than the greek yogurt, but the benefit of the yogurt outweighs the sacrifice 10 fold. The taste difference is so slight that I don't even notice it anymore. Greek yogurt is high in protein, 0 fat and perfectly creamy. So, here's the trick.

2 7oz cans of solid white albacore
2/3 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1-2 pickles chopped into small pieces
a little bit of pickle juice
Garlic spread (instructions below) or mustard
whole wheat bread

Makes about 6 servings

Strain all of the water out of the tuna. You want it as dry as possible
mix the first 4 ingredients together in a tupperware container. You can also add a piece of a banana pepper or anything of your choosing.

Each day, toast 1 piece of bread, then apply garlic spread or mustard, then add tuna mixture.

Eat as an open-face sandwich. Has about 190-215 calories depending on the kind of bread you use.


Displaying image1.PNG
Garlic spread
option 1: Puree peeled garlic with a little bit of olive oil and jar it. (Stronger flavor, My favorite)
option 2: slice garlic, soak it in olive oil and use only the oil. (not as powerful)

No comments:

Post a Comment